Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mr. Cellophane


I hate to admit, but I needed to take a bit of a breather from Frankenstein. I'll get back to it soon but my brain just needed a rest. For my mental relaxation I turned to one of my favorite guilty pleasures, Daniel X. The book is roughly 200 pages of adolescent superhero alien blood and guts.

The author of the Daniel X series is 62 year old James Patterson. Even more so than the first Daniel X book (The Dangerous Days of Daniel X), Watch the Skies is a painfully transparent attempt by a man in his 60's trying to write a relevant book for young teens. There are numerous references to 70's classic rock songs and an even greater amount of current pop culture references that are forced into the dialogue which are unnecessary and out of place.

I think that Patterson (who has co-authored both Daniel X books) was probably asked to write a series of books chronicling the life of a teen boy with super-natural powers and two dead parents (who also had special powers) to fill the hole left in the book market from the ending of the Harry Potter collection. I'm sure if I was a bigger Harry Potter fan I could a lot more similarities.

Given all of this however, I'm still going to be reading the next Daniel X book, Daemons and Druids, when it comes out late next year. Maybe I should check into rehab.

No comments:

Post a Comment