Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Interview With Local Authors: Fran Wojnar

1. How long have you lived in the Bay Area? Which parts?

Since 1964, I lived first in Vallejo where I taught junior high music in the Unified School District. After I married in 1967, my husband and I made our home in Pleasant Hill.

2. When did you get your first book published?


Eliza, an Iowa Pioneer was first published in 1991, with reprints in 1992 and 2005.

3. What type of books do you write?

Eliza, and Iowa Pioneer portrays pre-Civil War stories starting in 1836 in Lower Saxony. (before Germany was unified) Eliza, 16 and brother Heinrich 14, were put on a ship to America. Eliza’s narrated stories describe their adventures from landing in New Orleans to her final settlement in Iowa in 1850.
Magdalena’s Conflict is a mystery that occurs when the Mother Superior’s death appears natural to everyone except Sister Camille who along with a family detective friend find the murderer.

4. Why do you write?

Putting one’s thought and words on a page for anyone to read requires honesty and guts. I felt I had the discipline to write a book, after preparing for solo piano recitals often requiring a whole year’s practice.

5. How involved are you with the community?

I’m involved in Social Justice through Christ the King Church. We provide a pizza/salad supper once a month at the N. Concord Homeless Shelter. I meet with a student in a program called, Invest in Kids. I’m also historian and board member of the California Writer’s Club, and an usher at the San Francisco Symphony.

6. What challenges have you faced as an author?


Getting visibility. I expected my second book to be as successful as my first book.

7. Describe “print on demand” some of our readers.

“Print on Demand” POD allows the author, at their own expense, to become a published author with a professional book. It gives authors control of their work as well as a finished book to offer to agents and publishers.

8. What inspired you to write Eliza an Iowa Pioneer?

After reading stories that Eliza, my great grandmother, left, I felt consumed to study the period and enlarge on these tales and make them the back bone of this book.
It is a fine line between fiction and nonfiction.

9. Who were some of the influences as a writer.

Clair Gustafson, an instructor of Creative Writing at Diablo Valley College and my critique group of writers.

10. What type of book would you recommend for young readers?

Eliza, an Iowa Pioneer has been used in schools in Iowa, California and also in an adult class in Germany. Young readers enjoy mystery and adventure in historical novels.

11. What is the best way to get young people excited to read?

Exposure to reading in the home. My parents subscribed to book clubs that brought books into our home not always suitable to youngsters, but I remember reading them anyway and declined librarians book lists for young readers as too babyish.

12. Who are your favorite authors?


I haven’t a favorite. I like to read mysteries, stories about families in other cultures, non-fiction books on current events and past historical. figures.

13. Do you have a website we can visit?

Xlibris.com
mtdiablowriters.org

14. Where can we find your books?

Amazon.com
Xlibris.com
Myself (925) 933-9248

No comments:

Post a Comment