Friday, July 17, 2009

Interview With Local Authors: Barbara Bentley


How long have you lived in the Bay Area? Which parts?

I have lived in Contra Costa County my entire life. If I told you how long, I'd have to silence you. LOL

When did you get your first book published?

My first book "A Dance with the Devil: A True Story of Marriage to a Psychopath" was published by Berkley Books in November 2008. A lot of the story takes place in Contra Costa County.

What type of books do you write?

My first book was a true crime/memoir. I have written a fairy tale trilogy and am seeking a children's literary agent. My next adult book will be a historical novel about a strong Irish woman.

Why do you write?

I wrote my first book to share my story to educate society about the crazy-making world of the psychopath in the hopes of saving a life. It took me 18 years. I wrote and illustrated my fairy tales to nurture my creativity. Now I want to do the historical novel to prove that I can do it! Besides, it makes a lovely retirement activity and I've met many great authors in the California Writers Club - Mt. Diablo Branch.

How involved are you with the community?

My husband and I support STAND! Against Domestic Violence and Community Violence Solutions. I am on the Speaker's Bureau for STAND and represent them with talks at schools, colleges, businesses, and organizations. I have given speeches on my own at women's workshops and the International Women's Writing Guild. My story was recently aired on Dateline NBC and I field questions and requests for help from women all around the country. I also am serving my second year as secretary on the board of the CWC - Mt. Diablo Branch.

What challenges have you faced as an author?

When I decided to write a book there was one big obstacle - I needed to learn how to be a creative writer! I checked out writing books from the library. I joined the International Women's Writing Guild and attended several conferences. I also learned a great deal about the craft at the Writer's Retreat Workshop. I believe the biggest challenge is time. Right now I'm having trouble finding the time to get into my research for my next book. Then, of course, there was the challenge for my first book of finding a good literary agent (I got one in New York City) who could access the major publishing houses. Now I have that same challenge as I look for a children's literary agent. It's also taken a lot of time to learn the publishing business as it is not at all what the general public envisions!

Who were some your influences as a writer?

Gary and Gail Provost started the Writer's Retreat Workshop and their classes gave my writing a jump-start. Eventually, Gail became my mentor and we worked closely to develop my voice.

What types of books would you recommend for young readers?

I'd recommend that young readers pick up books on subjects of interest to them in order to nurture their love for reading. When I was young, I loved the Nancy Drew Series.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

Maeve Binchy, Ken Follett, Jefferey Archer, John Grisham

What are some of your favorite books?

There are no special books that come to mind.

Do you have a website we can visit?

www.adancewiththedevil.com Also, my husband and I are award winning home winemakers www.bentleycellars.com but we can't sell our wine.

Where can we find your books?

Independent book stores, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Amazon.com. I have links on my website

3 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful interview. Greast answers.

    I've read Barbara Bentley's book, A DANCE WITH THE DEVIL, and I can vouch for the fact that it is an amazing story. Another interview will appear in Writer Advice, www.writeradvice.com this fall. I hope you'll check it out.

    B. Lynn Goodwin
    www.writeradvice.com
    Author of You Want Me to Do What? Journaling for Caregivers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for getting the CWC Mt. Diablo thread started Barbara, and thanks for sharing your story through "A Dance with the Devil."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Adam. Barbara, it is exciting to learn about your next projects!

    Nannette Rundle Carroll

    ReplyDelete