Monday, August 3, 2009

Local Author Barbara Bentley Wins Major Award


From Barbara Bentley:

Greetings to all,

Some of you may already know about the award but this announcement includes new information.

Several chapters of my book "A Dance with the Devil" tell the story of how I changed the divorce law of California. When a board member from an Atlanta foundation read the book, she wrote me the following letter and sent it to me via my publisher.

"I was impressed and interested in learning of your achievements in the arena of improvement of our laws and justice system. Thank you for making a difference. I am a board member of the Foundation for Improvement of Justice, founded in 1984 by the Chapman family to recognize outstanding contributions to our justice system. Please refer to our web site www.justiceawards.com for further information as to history, purpose, award recipients, contact information, submissions towards our selection process and the awards.
In May and June each year, our Board receive and review approximately 80 to 100 nominations from nominators. The Board finalizes, in a blind selection process, selections down to the very best 8 to 10. These are our Paul Chapman award winners.
In September of each year the award winners, along with their nominators, are recognized at our awards banquet at The Ritz Carlton, Atlanta, Georgia, where they enjoy a wonderful banquet, a nice monetary award for the winner and well deserved recognition.
In closing, I simply wanted to inform you of our Foundation, knowing of your interest in Justice and our interest in receiving the very best nominations/achievements each year in the field of justice."

My friend Sheryl Sturges , a board member of Community Violence Solutions, was kind enough to nominate me.

This past Friday I received a phone call advising me that I am a recipient of one of the six 2009 Paul H. Chapman awards. I am still reeling from the news!

The awards package includes: the Paul H. Chapman medal (photo attached), a check for $10,000, a commendation bar pin, a certificate of appreciation, and an invitation to the awards banquet in Atlanta, Georgia, on September 26. The foundation is picking up the airfare and hotel for four: myself and Sheryl and our two guests.

I feel blessed and honored to be among the recipients. Previous winners include judges, politicians, police, and organizations. In appreciation for my selection, I am donating half of my cash award to Community Violence Solutions in honor of Sheryl Sturges' passion to help victims of sexual assault and family violence.

For more information, please visit http://www.justiceawards.com and http://www.cvsolutions.org/. I have also updated my website www.adancewiththedevil.com.


Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,
Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment