Saturday, August 1, 2009

Interview With Local Authors: Lynn Goodwin


How long have you lived in the Bay Area? Which parts?

I am a Bay Area native. I grew up in Los Gatos, went away to college, returned to get a California teaching credential, and then taught in the San Ramon Valley Unified School District and various community colleges for many years.

When did you get your first book published?

My first books, From An Author's Point of View: Tips on Writing and From An Author's Point of View: Tips on Marketing were published by the Other Side of Creativity in 2001. The organization no longer exists.

My current book, You Want Me to Do What? Journaling for Caregivers was published in December of 2008. It offers encouragement, simple instructions, and over 200 sentence starts to help anyone begin writing. Those who have tried it love it, and since I have been marketing it, I've discovered that everybody is a caregiver for someone.

What type of books do you write?

Both of these books are self-help meets how-to. So is my e-zine, Writer Advice, www.writeradvice.com. I've also drafted a YA novel and written plenty of short stories, memoirs, and articles.


Why do you write?

So many reasons; so little time. I guess the simple answer is that I write to share stories, express opinions, analyze events, find my part in things, help others, and explore.

How involved are you with the community?

I am very involved with the writing community. One of the perks of You Want Me to Do What? Journaling for Caregivers is that it has helped me connect with a number of organizations in the medical and care-giving community. I give journaling workshops and talks for any interested organization. E-mail me at Lgood67334 (AT)comcast (DOT) net or visit http://www.writeradvice.com/workshops.html for information.

What challenges have you faced as an author?

Depending on the project and the moment, I can be challenged to find the right word, phrase, subject, angle, or venue. When I remember that everyone has great stories to tell, I know that the rewards of writing outweigh the challenges.

Who were some your influences as a writer?

"I'd like to thank the Academy and..." Truthfully, I am influenced by writers, readers, and critiquers. I name some specific authors as I answer "What are some of your favorite books?" below.

What types of books would you recommend for young readers?

Read books about subjects you love. Follow your heart. Classic or contemporary; fiction or non-fiction; print, graphic, manga, or e-zine, read what you want to read. It will give you sustenance for reading what you have to read. Almost all books have something to say to you.

Who are some of your favorite authors? & What are some of your favorite books?

Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes
Sybil Lockhart's Mother in the Middle
Veronica Chater's Waiting for the Apocalypse
Meg Waite Clayton's The Wednesday Sisters
Rachel Sarah's Single Mom Seeking
Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows' The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
Jennifer McMahon's Island of the Lost Girls


Based on this list, I should try writing fiction or memoir, shouldn't I?

Do you have a website we can visit?

My website is Writer Advice, www.writeradvice.com. Please visit, click on the links and boxes, and let me know if you have any questions.

Where can we find your books?

You Want Me to Do What? Journaling for Caregivers is available at Amazon and other online bookstores. You can also order it through Writer Advice, www.writeradvice.com. Click on Journaling for Caregivers. Then click on Order Online. You can also ask any independent bookstore to order it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the interview, Adam. I liked your questions.

    After doing 12 years of author interviews for Writer Advice, www.writeradvice.com, it is great to be the subject of one.

    B Lynn Goodwin
    www.writeradvice.com
    Author of You Want Me to Do What?

    ReplyDelete