Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Interview With Local Authors: William Sawyers


William Sawyers was raised in Pleasant Hill for 22 years then moved to Concord. He has been writing stories and poetry for about 25 years. He is a married father of 23 years and has two children in their teens. To learn more about William Sawyers please visit his website at williamsawyers.com or follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/william2233.

1. When did you get your first book published?

I got my first book published October 2005

2. What type of books do you write?

I write riddle books with coloring pages, a book on a family of Robins. (Birds)

Other stories I write Fiction and Non fiction. I have a few stories on birds, a story about model rocketry, and a story to keep children ages nine up to never start to smoke.

I also write poetry and most can be viewed on my blog site at www.williamsawyers.com.

3. Why do you write?

I write to help encourage children to be more interested in reading more, and to help them refrain from watching too much T.V. I love to hear children laugh and giggle over my stories. My motto? “Daring to make a difference in today’s youth-one page at a time”

4. How involved are you with the community?

I’m very involved in my community; I’m donating 10% of my profits to three local schools and a daycare center. Mt. Diablo High, Glenbrook Middle School and Holbrook Elementary, My third book is helping out a local Cub Scout troop. I’m also Find places to do story telling. This month was Clayton Book Store and Holbrook child care (Pre School). I’ll do another for other ages soon. I’ve also read at the Cabana pool club in Livermore last summer to do story telling and looking for more places to read at.

My full time job is a head custodian at an Elementary school. 20 years of service.

5. What challenges have you faced as an author?

Getting out my name is the hardest part, I spent 4 to 5 hours every night trying to get out the word, and I belong to about 30 net working sites.

6. Who or what were your influences as a writer?

Three I can think of, Charlotte’s web, Where the Red Fern Grows and Dr. Seuss.

7. What types of books would you recommend for young readers?

My own of course, and ALFRED'S NOSE by Vivienne Flesher for ages 4-7

8. Who are your favorite authors?

My favorite authors are the ones I’ve met at my book signings.

Andre’ Gensburger
Barbara Bentley
Elevera Reese
LloydLofthouse
Mary F. Pols
Queenell Minet
Vincent Silva


9. What are some of your favorite books?

My favorite books are the type written for net working and such.

TOP BOOK MARKETING TIPS OF 2008 by Dana Lynn Smith
Guerrilla Marketing For Writers by Jay Levinson
Get In the News by David Leonhardt
Marketing Success by Robert W Bly
Book Promotion Ain’t For Sissies by Jenna Glatzer
Discover Social Networking 101 by Bob Jenkins & Scout Tousignant



*Publishers Note- I'd like to thank William Sawyers for being the first of what I hope are many interviews with local authors!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is great Adam! William, I look forward to visiting your website! And thanks for the donations to Mount Diablo! Go Devils!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made them much yet.
    $50.00 so far. With the way things are going towards our schools it's better than nothing

    ReplyDelete