Monday, August 17, 2009

The Inspiration Machine

Before The Time Machine I have to admit that I was pretty intimidated by anything written pre-1900. Its true that I am a Government teacher and have to translate the US Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Federalist Papers to urban high school students with 8th grade reading levels or lower (about 5% are at grade level). However reading a novel in this language is not exactly my idea of fun.

No longer!

After acclimating to the old language, I found The Time Machine to be a brilliant little novel. Besides being incredibly creepy at times, The Time Machine has some great chapters on class struggle as well as evolutionary and economic theory.

Since finishing The Time Machine I have a new interest in these early classics and have now begun to read Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Again it took about five or six pages to get the language down, but, just like The Time Machine, I am completely hooked!

As I still wait for Enemy Mine to arrive in the mail (one of the drawbacks of paperbackswap.com) I know that I have a great novel to enjoy in the mean time. Maybe I'll read Bram Stoker's Dracula next!

No comments:

Post a Comment