Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Interview With Local Authors: Andre' Gensburger



1. When did you get your first book published?

The book SIGNS YOU MAY BE AN IDIOT and other musings was published last year.

2. What type of books do you write?

SIGNS was a book of editorials. I am a fiction/science fiction writer and prefer that format. I am currently writing a science fiction novel called The Shift which I am posting as I go on my blog misterwriter.com. It is similar in process to something that Philip K. Dick might have conjured up, although, of course, the writing style is different.

3. Why do you write?

Writing is as natural a process for me as talking. It allows me to vent, to process, to problem solve; but perhaps most importantly to try and find some rationalization for much of the insanity I feel pressing in around me.

4. How involved are you with the community?

I co-publish The Concordian, a local Concord newspaper. I am a Rotarian. I was a public school teacher for seven years.

5. What challenges have you faced as an author?

Getting work read is always a challenge. With the Internet everyone writes which creates a mass of stuff out there so the competition is strong.

6. Who were some your influences as a writer?

I have a wide range of reading interests from David Deutsch, John Scalzi, Gregory Benford, James Clavell, Philip K. Dick, Frank Herbert, Ayn Rand... the list is endless.

7. What types of books would you recommend for young readers?

I would not recommend by type since each reader has a different taste. What I do recommend is to go to the library and select 5 books based on how the cover looks, or the title, or something and try to read it. You are allowed to stop after 10 pages if it does not grab you, but one of the 5 books MUST be read all the way through. This gives reluctant readers some power. Often with some choice, one can find something good.

8. Who are some of your favorite authors?

David Deutsch, John Scalzi, Gregory Benford, James Clavell, Philip K. Dick, Frank Herbert, Ayn Rand, Carl Sagan, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Jack McDevitt, Jospeh Campbell - the list goes on.

9. What are some of your favorite books?

Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy hooked me into Science Fiction as an adult after Robert Heinlein's juvenile sci-fi hooked me as a kid with tales like Spaceman Jones. Old Man's War by John Scalzi is a fun read.


10. Do you have a website we can visit?

www.misterwriter.com is my blog
www.gensburger.com is my site
www.signsyoumaybeanidiot.com is the book site


11. Where can we find your books?

amazon.com,
target.com
Clayton Books
other stores - although I do not have the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment