Monday, July 13, 2009

Bad Movies, Great Books.

Hey I kept thinking about this concept this morning so I decided we should make it into a list. We have all had the disappointment of reading a great book, getting excited about it being turned into movie, 6 months later we wait in line for the popcorn, simply to be let down by something that loosely resembles the paper turner that we just read. For example I am a huge Michael Crichton fan and when he was asked/paid to write a sequel to Jurassic Park, I was very excited. I enjoyed the book as much if not more than the first and was very excited about the movie. I remember being a bit nervous about it since the first movie ended very different from the first book, yet he adapted the second book so it could match either ending, however I didn't expect what I got. I am not going to it into the horrible detail I will simply state: My favorite MAIN character from the book evidentially wasn't important enough to be in the movie.

So lets make a list. Mine is The Lost World by Michael Crichton. Also please note, there will be many different classifications for this list. Here are some examples:
Movies that forget to include the plot.

Books that were suspenseful yet the suspense doesn't translate to the movie or a mystery that gives up the mystery before has built up enough to be excited. (Da Vinci Code)

Movies that create action scenes our of thin air. (War of the Worlds, I personally haven't read it but I have reliable source that tell me this is true.)

Great Sci Fi, Doesn't translate in 2 hours.

Last, the person that can name a great movie that was a terrible book gets 5 brownie points. (Don't forget if you get 25 brownie points the newest member of the book club is required to bake you brownies.)

2 comments:

  1. Bad book to movie translation: The Power of One. Phenomenal book, horrible movie.

    Better movie than book: Beowulf. Trust me. For every reason books are usually better than movies is why Beowulf the movie is better than the book.

    I saw the movie first and afterwords was so excited to read the book only to be very disappointed. There is actually a spin-off book called Grendel which is pretty good and also better than Beowulf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad book to movie translation: John Grishman's The Last Juror. While I think many of JG's books are formulaic, The Last Juror was compelling and had interesting twists. Despite my respect for John Cusack, the screenplay did not do the book justice.

    I did not see Beowulf because I had already read the book and had no desire to experience that sublime boredom yet again--maybe I will check out the movie.

    Better movie than book: Great expectations. And the movie was actually not good at all. I am talking about the one with Gwyneth Paltrow in the late 1990s. That is how much I disliked the book.

    ReplyDelete